[gst-devel] GStreamer wiki

Tim 'Tool-Man' Taylor tim at tool-man.org
Sat Mar 17 03:40:13 CET 2001

David I. Lehn wrote:
 > I've set up a GStreamer wiki based on MoinMoin.
[snip]
 > This may be a good place to throw up ideas and discuss and refine them.
 > We'll see how it works out... needs participation though.

The thing to be aware of is how much you spread out or duplicate
information on the project.  For instance, you already have these
knowledge bases:

  - documentation
  - email lists
  - IRC
  - SF bug database
  - SF forums

Now add a wiki to the mix.   A wiki web is potentially redundant with
documentation, email lists, IRC, and forums.

This can be disadvantagous.  One, there's no easy or reliable way to
search all of them at once.  I first have to read the docs, then search
the email lists, then scan the bug database, browse the forums, peruse
wiki, and finally either post a question or ask on IRC (or in wiki).  In
reality, people will probably only do a couple of these before giving up
or resorting to asking a question.  Two, duplication of information is
as much a problem as duplicated code.  The multiple versions can get out
of sync.  Keeping them in sync is duplicated effort.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not opposed to wiki webs.  Actually, I think
wiki webs are groovy.  I love wiki.  But you might want to consider
having your wiki replace some of the other knowledge bases and set local
guidelines on how you want your wiki used.  For instance, you could
limit "talking" on wiki to discussion about the documentation.  Other
discussion would occur on IRC or the email lists.

Consider moving all the current documentation into wiki.  Perhaps wiki
can be used for keeping the documentation up to date while gstreamer is
in flux.  I know alot of effort was put into DocBook'izing the docs.  By
using wiki you benefit with collaborative editing.  Then you can use the
wiki docs as raw material for DocBook documentation once development
settles down.  DocBook is complex.  You raise the bar of who can
contribute documentation by using it whereas wiki is rather easy to pick up.

On a similar note, I recommend disabling the SourceForge features you
don't use.  At a mimimum, get rid of the Forums (redundant with email
list).  The Surveys can probably go, too.  Looks like you already turned
off (or never turned on) the DocManager.

Tim

--
Tim Taylor
tim at tool-man.org