[gst-devel] Multi-threaded queueing locking issues

Matt Howell matth at ridgerun.com
Tue Mar 20 23:10:59 CET 2001

stuff deleted, comments added...

> > > i agree.  you shouldn't have to use the timed-wait stuff in this case.  also,
> > > you don't want to use system kill/signal to fix thread scheduling.
> > >
> > > i was thinking something like this: (pseudo-code :)
> > > gstpad.c::queue_get() - to the while loop, add
> > >   // somehow, get pendingState
> > >   if (pendingState == PAUSED) { GST_UNLOCK(lock); return NULL; }
> > >
> > > gstpad.c::queue_chain() - to the while loop, add the same thing
> > >   if (pendingState == PAUSED) { GST_UNLOCK(lock); return NULL; }
> > >
> > > gstpad.c::change_state() - add
> > >   if (GST_STATE_PENDING (element) == GST_STATE_PAUSED)
> > >   {
> > >     GST_LOCK(queue);
> > >     signal(emptycond); // wake up waiting queue_get()'s, if any
> > >     signal(fullcond); // wake up waiting queue_chain()'s, if any
> > >     GST_UNLOCK(queue);
> > >   }
> > >
> > > gstscheduler.c::chain_wrapper() - i'm not sure it's necessary, but probably add:
> > >
> > >   if (pendingState == PAUSED) break;  // stop calling pad_pull()'s,
> > >
> > > there may be other places in gstscheduler.c code to do similar.
> > >
> > > thoughts?
> >
> > The problem is that the above solution only works for queues, and makes
> > them intimately aware of the threads and vice versa.  The queues aren't
> > the only things that are going to be blocking.  Anything that attaches to
> > a file descriptor (file, network, etc.) could also block, and we have to
> > come up with some way of interrupting them as well.
> >
> > I'm not sure how one would go about interrupting a blocking read, or the
> > best way to set it up to time out.  I'd like to find a way (even if it's
> > element-specific in the form of a special interuption callback) to
> > interrupt them explicitely, rather than making them spin in a timeout
> > loop.  That forces them to use select, and other messy stuff.

i don't think the check in gstpad.c::change_state() is such a bad thing.  it's
called in the context of the thread (the pipeline?) which was instructed to
go to the pause state by the app, right?  it's in gstpad.c because it's pad-
centric...  maybe i don't understand your concern here.

it doesn't seem bad to use different ways to wake threads that are blocked
for different reasons.  if a thread is blocked because of g_cond_wait(), it
should be waked with g_cond_signal().  it it's blocked because of a system
call (e.g., blocking read) use the system kill().

the spin / timeout stuff could be encapsulated in an element's change_state().
(this requires that all elements that can block on a system call implement
their own change_state().)  as brent points out below, this could use
pthread_cancel() (assuming these elements are in a pthread) as a last resort
(since it is a bit destructive ;-).

thoughts?