[gst-devel] Re: builddirs (was Re: ATK dependency added to GTK+)

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri May 4 04:22:36 CEST 2001

James Henstridge <james at daa.com.au> writes:

> On 3 May 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>

> > Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> writes:
> > > A year ago I patched up the -config scripts for some research packages so
> > > they could pull off this trick, and it worked quite well.  I'm willing to
> > > put together a patch to do this with pkg-config, just say the word.
> >
> > pkg-config may already support this; at least at one point, if you
> > specified a module name ending in ".pc", it was taken as a filename
> > instead of searching the module path.
>
> Or maybe just provide some dummy pkg-config files in this toplevel super
> module, and set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable before the configure scripts
> of pango, atk and gtk+ are called, so that they find these pkg-config
> scripts that give the correct paths.  The pango.pc file might look
> something like this:
>
>   top_srcdir=@top_srcdir@
>   top_builddir=@top_builddir@
>
>   Name: Pango
>   Version: 0.15
>   Requires: glib-2.0,gobject-2.0,gmodule-2.0
>   Libs: ${top_builddir}/pango/pango/libpango.la
>   Cflags: -I${top_srcdir}/pango
>

> We would definitely need libtool-1.4 for this, otherwise the shared
> library dependencies would cause problems.

Well, not really, in the sense that having libgdk.so depend on
libglib.so (etc.) is, while something we create on platforms where it
works, not something we depend on; the whole idea of glib-config
was that we would provide the complete set of libraries when
linking the app so inter-library dependencies aren't required.

(After all, they still aren't available on every platform.)

IIRC libtool-1.3.x just ignores dependencies of libraries on .la files.

Regards,
                                        Owen