[gst-devel] editing list concept - still not sure

Christoph Scheurer chris at nessy.chem.rochester.edu
Fri May 11 16:16:38 CEST 2001

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 03:20:53PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> I've just changed the format to XML because it's better suited for
> this kind of thing, and I'm adding a sample XML input file here.  It
> contains audio data, volume envelopes, and text data.
I agree that XML is well suited for that purpose. I was thinking about that
problem a little bit before, but I didn't implement anything yet.

I guess you would need basically three types of objects: timelines (or
sequences), sources, and effects (or nodes), well, and clearly one sink. Each
of them would produce a single YUV output stream. Timelines consist of a
sequence of all three kinds of objects, sources only have an output stream, and
effects can have as many input streams as they want. Typical sources would
read (parts of) video streams from files, provide blank frames for delays, or
produce a stream of identical frames from a single picture file. Some effects
I could think of are resizing, de-interlacing, overlay, fade, ...

But if I understand it correctly, then this is, what the gstreamer framework
provides and it is probably only neccessary to implement a lavtools source and
turn the filters into gstreamer plugins. Or am I wrong about that?

Christoph

 Christoph Scheurer              e-mail: chris at feynman.chem.rochester.edu
 Department of Chemistry         WWW: http://markov.chem.rochester.edu/chris
 University of Rochester
 P.O. Box RC 270216              phone:  +1-716-275-8289
 Rochester, NY 14627-0216                +1-716-242-0989 (private)
 USA                             Fax:    +1-716-473-6889