[gst-devel] RFC: argument system?

Steve Baker sbaker at chello.com
Mon May 14 16:33:35 CEST 2001

I think that my dynamic parameters implementation could be easily extended
to allow for runtime adding and removing of parameters to match the adding
and removing of pads.  And it could be done with no additional impact on
common-case real-time dynparms performance.

The biggest issue for me would be whether to make the creation of new
dynparms explicit or implicit based on the creation of new pads.

The implicit case might work something like this:
- A dynparm instance is flagged as belonging to all output pads
- when a new output pad is created, the dynparm group creates a new instance
of the dynparm to match it
- apps get notified that there is a new dynparm to create a gui for
- these dynparm instances have an instance name somehow related to the pad
name, the pad number and the dynparm name

This would make for a simple API, but the implementation may be complex and
the element developer wouldn't have much flexibility in behaviour.

I think I favour a more explicit approach, where it is up to the element
developer to write code which creates new dynparms when new pads are added.

The dynparms group API will have functions to create/destroy dynparms at any
time during runtime - although unless you're writing a variable pads
element, you will only ever need to create dynparms in the initialiser.

cheers