[gst-devel] Re: [livid-dev] a new direction for oms

Dan Dennedy ddennedy at coolsite.net
Tue May 15 23:11:03 CEST 2001

Yoann Vandoorselaere wrote:

>This is total nonsense !
>In this case, why don't we just all jump in Gstreamer development,
>instead of stilling it's code, and working on a fork of it.
>You should have remembered the lesson with the libvo experience.

I think you misunderstood David. I got the impression that David
suggests using gstreamer for the backend of OMS not by stealing or
forking, but through adoption and contribution. With that approach, some
OMS developers will work on gstreamer itself, while others will work on
porting OMS to be a gstreamer app for DVD playback. Other projects are
facing the same decisions. For example, I am working in the 1394 space
on componentizing features of the Kino video editor for reuse in
gstreamer plugins and apps. I believe the MJPEG (lav) Tools project is
in a similar situation.