[gst-devel] Short-term plans

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Tue May 22 09:36:02 CEST 2001

First of all, I'm flying to work tomorrow morning, and since RidgeRun just
moved offices, I can't say for sure whether I'll be online as soon as I
get there or not.  So I might be out of communication tomorrow (Tuesday).

Given that, as taaz points out, we're planning a 0.2.0 release in -4 weeks
from now, we need to seriously focus on that.  A merge from INCSCHED1 into
HEAD is the requirement for this.  The primary issue is gstplay, which has
some issues with incsched, causing it to fail in strange ways.  I think
these can be overcome with fairly simple patches, but I don't know the
code well enough to make those changes (which require some callback work,
thus changes to the gstplay structs, etc.).  Wim is the most familiar with
that code, so it kinda falls to him to figure out how to make it work.
That may involve delegating to Arik or others <g> This should happen ASAP,
so we can get 0.2.0 out and get on with more important stuff.

Ideally, I'd like to let other people deal with that and the bulk of the
other issues for the release, so I can get going with other pressing
issues remaining in the incsched set.  I think the first thing that needs
doing is the construction of a list of scenarios for incsched.  From that
we can determine what pieces need changing, and what pieces need writing.
For instance, I know that if you were to repeatedly add elements to the
schedule, PLAY them and delete them, you'll quickly exhaust your cothread
supply, because it doesn't release them.

Because of the nature of the beast, this is probably best done by matth,
brentb, and myself, in one of the shiny new conference rooms at RidgeRun.