[gst-devel] install problems

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Tue May 22 14:53:33 CEST 2001

Hi all,

about that last mail with the avi thing; here's what seems to have
happened.

When I downloaded a fresh cvs copy on a gstreamer-clean production machine
and did autogen.sh, I got this :

I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
aclocal: configure.in: 206: macro `AM_PATH_ESD' not found in library

What I didn't know then is that this probably was responsible for not
generating aclocal.m4

I don't know enough autoconf as of now to test that, though.  So once I
saw that aclocal.m4 was what was missing from my setup, I copied that from
my working cvs tree.

This caused a lot the things to compile, but it also generated weird
errors in plugins like avi/wincodec, which seemed weird.

Anyway, after some digging, I noticed that my test machine has a file
/usr/share/aclocal/esd.m4 which wasn't on the production machine.

It probably should have been there and I have no idea why it wasn't.

Anyway, copying this file to the production machine did the trick;
./autogen.sh worked and I could compile gstreamer.

My question : is it gstreamer's responsibility to check for this or not ?
Is it something that needs to be looked in before a next release ?

thomas

If only you'd come back to me
If you laid at my side
wouldn't need no mojo pin