[gst-devel] volume plugin with dparams

Karsten N . Strand kns at nixia.no
Wed Nov 14 12:02:30 CET 2001

I'm currently looking into gstreamer as the platform for my new digital
audio mixing system project, and have a few questions. The plans for the
mixer is to build a external control board with sliders, aux buttons, and
two "turntables" (for scratching, searching and looking cool), using a
board with a bunch of adc's and a philips P89C51RC+ controller chip. The
control board will have a serial interface. This step is pretty
straightforward, with some kindly given soldering help from my father.

The next step is to hook all these controls up to actual mixing software,
and this is were I thought maybe gstreamer could be The choice. I have been
following the project for a while, and I really think it's the future for
streaming media in linux (the gtk/gnome world anyway, it seems like the
qt/kde people have somewhat settled for arts). Well, anyway, that's my
story.. Here's the questions:

Is anyone working on adding dparams to volume?

Are the latency numbers good?

Any work on some kind of sequencer to record stream changes and dparam
values?

Any plans for a terminatorX-like* element for gstreamer? terminatorX (
http://terminatorx.cx ) is a kickass virtual turntable app for linux, but
you probably knew that anyway :)

I would very much like to help with any of these issues, as they're all
vital to my application, but I'm no wizard, so it might take some time to
me to understand gstreamer's architecture and api completely. I've never
had any experience with GObjects (just basic gtk+) before, and I think the
official docs is pretty sparse at this moment, so I would be grateful for
pointers to good alternative documentation.

If anything useful come out of the mixer project, I will (oh'course)
release the code and schematics under lgpl, gpl. And then, maybe someone
else will want to be a part of the project too, and we will take over the
evil music industry together, and ride happy into the sunset :)

Regards, Karsten N. Strand

Member of LUG: NLC (Norwegian Linux Community)