[gst-devel] Re: libgst.so needs -lm in head

Steve Baker stevebaker_org at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 09:01:14 CEST 2001

On Sun, 2001-09-30 at 01:01, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2001, Steve Baker wrote:
>
> > gstdparammanager has to be in core as it is coupled with gstelement and
> > it has macros that any plugin might use.
>
> Is there any way it might be made an external subsystem?  I haven't looked
> at how it's integrated, but it would be good if it can be limitted to just
> the plugins that use it.  Dunno how feasible that is, but something to
> look at maybe.

Currently the only real integration is:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gstreamer/gstreamer/gst/gstelement.h.diff?r1=1.57&r2=1.58

The only thing I can think of adding to gstelement is maybe a getter and
a call to unref the dparam_manager during the element's dispose.

I can see how dparams could be taken out of core entirely if elements
were responsible for storing and disposing their own instance of
dparam_manager. They would also have to link to libgstcontrol. I don't
see this as much of a burden on plugin writers.

The only downside I see is for elements which might be useful in an
embedded environment AND which benefit from dparams in a desktop
environment.

Erik may be able to confirm this but I suspect that elements destined
for embedded environments would be written from scratch or maybe
forked&slimmed to save size.  If this is the case then we wouldn't need
to think twice about adding dparams support to any given plugin.

Oh, and if we do this I really will have to move sinesrc out of core ;-)

cheers