[gst-devel] RealSystem integration

Rob Lanphier robla at real.com
Mon Oct 8 00:08:04 CEST 2001

On 6 Oct 2001, Wim Taymans wrote:
> On Sat, 2001-10-06 at 02:24, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> > From a licensing perspective, [an open source project based on the
> > RealSystem SDK] wouldn't be
> > a first.  There's already one open source project that has done this
> > (TRPlayer, available at http://www.linux-speakup.org/trplayer.html).
>
> Ok, I'll check this out. Last time I investigated the license I remember
> that you could not release source code that uses the Real API or
> something (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Could you, in short, explain what the license implications are?

For source distribution:  you can distribute the source code for the
application itself, but must point users to our site for the RealSystem
SDK headers that are necessary, as well as the RealOne Player for Linux
(which has the client core that you'd be calling)

For binary distribution:  unsure.  I think you can distribute binaries of
your application so long as you point users to our site for the RealOne
Player for Linux to get the libraries necessary for RealSystem content.
I'll need to double check this.

Rob