[gst-devel] a modest proposal

Andy Wingo apwingo at eos.ncsu.edu
Wed Oct 17 16:20:14 CEST 2001

Hey vishnu :)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, vishnu at pobox.com wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 06:50:59PM -0400, Andy Wingo wrote:
> > wrt 1, how about the following:
> >
> > * audio: audio-only stuff.
> > * video: video, including a52dec. ac3dec must die.
> > * 'system': http*. icecast? rtp*. gnomevfs.
>
> system?  How about 'net' and/or 'broadcast'?

whatever. miscellaneous? :) the name can come later, just that there's a
category where gnomevfs can go... and i suppose we'd include visualization in
video. i dunno. could go either way.

> > wrt 2, it seems there will need to be an autogen.sh that will search the tree
> > for files of a well-known name to make the configure.ac script. It has to be
> > done this way because AC_OUTPUT has to output all .in's, not just for the
> > plugins that can be built.
>
> That's a good idea, however, i can cope with building each package as
> a separate package until someone writes that fancy autogen script.

I can write it, it's not difficult. As long as we have semi-consensus though.

> > wrt 3, there is some stuff in GstHowTo about how to link to uninstalled gst.
> > Also, we'd want to get gst configuration info as to where to install (is this
> > right?). gstreamer-register has to be modified to somehow look in this different
> > path for plugins. We need to figure out why libtool has problems linking to
> > uninstalled gst when there is a copy of gst installed.
>
> The faster 'make install' goes, the less of a burden it is to put an
> "installed tree" in my home directory.  (Just a thought.)

It is a thought, but why bother? I dunno.

and I have no thoughts regarding binary packaging. That's just a mess, they
might need one more level of categorizing.

Please chime in, though, to all...

wingo