[gst-devel] GNOME & GStreamer v3

Christian Schaller Uraeus at linuxrising.org
Sat Sep 1 04:07:01 CEST 2001

This is and updated todo list for GStreamer in relation to GNOME. If
Erik and Wim thinks it is ok, I will send it to the gnome-love mailing
list to see if we can get people to help us with some of these tasks.
I have tried adding the issues and items which came up when discussing
this with Bastien the last time around. Think we still don't agree on
the capplet issue though.

Christian

a) Create a GNOME control Center Capplet for setting global preferences
for GStreamer & GNOME apps. Audio output format is the most important
here (ESD, ASD, artsd, OSS, ALSA, Solaris Audio etc.).
This should try and autodetect and set a default, but if people want to
use OSS even if they have esd running etc. that should be changeable.

Could be some other settings which also could be done this way.
A button to run gstreamer-register might also be nice to put here,
but since it should under ordinary circumstances not be necessary to run
maybe it should be placed under and advanced tab.

This applet should use GConf to store its settings in order to allow
sysadmins to set systemwide defaults and lock users out from changing
it. That would also make it easier for applications to get at these
settings.

Another option is having preferences for which plugins to use in the
case where there are more than one providing the functionality. For
instance of you want your cd-ripping applications to use the Lame or
BladeEnc plugin for instance. If this should be set generally instead of
on a per application is another question. GStreamer would in any case
have its own default default.

b) Provide patches to the gnome-media package to use GStreamer.
Also of interest would be to create patches to the GNOME panel applets.
An option here would be to create a patch to have a disable parameter
for configure which stops the building of all audio related options in
gnome-applets. That way we could provide our own non-conflicting package
with our versions of those applets and more.

c) Simple library for supplying play_sound etc. This library will/should
long term replace the one in gnome-libs. (Timeframe: available for GNOME
2.0, recomended API for GNOME 2.2, only such API for releases after
that.) An option here is making this library have a CSL compatible API,
but main priority would be to make it API compatible with what will be
in GNOME 2.

d) Menu icons and entries for our sample applications.

e) Bonobo-media working. Working bonobo-components giving access to
GStreamer functionality. Erdi Gergo is working on porting this to the
GNOME 2.0 platform and hope to get it working.

f) Nautilus integration. Video preview, embeding in Nautilus, backend
for audio-preview feature etc. Not an immediate issue as GStreamer will
not be a part of the core development libraries for the 2.0 release.
This is a task more suited for the GNOME 2.2 release.

g) Mozilla/Galeon plugin. Steve Crouse has made the first release of
this available from: http://mozstreamer.mozdev.org/
This code could probably also be used as the starting point for making a
bonobo media player component.

h) cothreads cores for all GNOME plattforms. PA-RISC and MIPS are the
two missing here, plus we need more testing of the other non-intel
platforms we already support.

i) Port gstmediaplay and gsteditor to the GNOME 2.0 platform.