[gst-devel] configure confusion

Oliver Bausinger bausi at gmx.de
Sat Sep 8 10:37:02 CEST 2001

Hi you all,

I tried to compile gstreamer from CVS, but the following errors with configure
(Mandrake 8.0, autoconf 2.13 or autoconf 2.52 - same problem):
configure breaks on the fresh checkout with

Checking for patched automake... found.
I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
configure.in:145: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:145: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
creating cache ./config.cache
[ ... omitting stuff ... ]
checking for fig2dev... true
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for MMX-capable compiler... yes
./configure: line 5395: syntax error near unexpected token `"`(u'
./configure: line 5395: `    case "`(uname -sr) 2>/dev/null`" in'

The relevant part in configure is:

[...]
  # It would also be nice to do this for all -L options, not just this one.
  if test -n "$x_libraries"; then
    X_LIBS="$X_LIBS -L$x_libraries"
    # For Solaris; some versions of Sun CC require a space after -R and
    # others require no space.  Words are not sufficient . . . .
    case "`(uname -sr) 2>/dev/null`" in
    "SunOS 5"*)
      echo $ac_n "checking whether -R must be followed by a space""... $ac_c"
1>&6
echo "configure:5399: checking whether -R must be followed by a space" >&5
      ac_xsave_LIBS="$LIBS"; LIBS="$LIBS -R$x_libraries"
      cat > conftest.$ac_ext <<EOF
[...]

I guess this is valid sh-code. If I remove the braces around uname in
autoconf I get an error "unexpected end of file" for configure.

I'm a little desperate because I didn't find similar problems when searching
the archives)

Has someone here a clue what is going on?

Greetings
Bausi