[gst-devel] documentatoin

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Wed Apr 17 05:37:05 CEST 2002

Hi gang,

One of the reasons GStreamer appealed to me so much so long ago was the
excellent documentation.  Since I want to put some more effort into
grasping the core, I figured it was also a good opportunity to go through
the docs and maybe do some cleanup.  Since using it a lot in devhelp, I've
noticed some things that might improve our docs a little.

So I went over gstbuffer and cleaned some style issues, added more xrefs,
and so on.  I'm open to suggestion on any of these changes, I just went
along and decided as I saw fit, and it's very probable that I might make
the wrong decisions.  So please spend some time on reviewing my changes if
it interests you, so that I can do good work on the docs in the future.

One of the things I changed that might be a problem is my change of the
enum GstBufferFlags to GstBufferFlag.  If this is not a problem, then tell
me so, because I intend to fix all enums to be singular in name.

I also have two things I thought about doing :

a) I'd like to put the version number somewhere visible on each page,
anyone know how to do that "the right way" with gtk-doc ?

b) I also feel that we should somewhere on the page put the date and
gstreamer version for which the documentation has last been reviewed.
If there's one thing I hate about API docs, it's them having changed
between versions without being able to tell that this is the case.  At
least if you have a clue as to what version the docs are written for, you
could conjecture how good they are ;)

Thoughts welcome, if uncommented then massive changes might take place ;)

Thomas

Mag je buiten
Kom je spelen
Jij mag winnen