[gst-devel] Patch for Mime types

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Fri Dec 6 17:42:03 CET 2002

> On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 07:23, iain wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > before 0.5.0 goes out, I'd like to commit this patch that aligns some of
> > GStreamers mimetypes with gnome-vfs'
> >
> > The changes are:
> > lame - audio/mp3 to audio/x-mp3
> > mad  - audio/mp3 to audio/x-mp3
> > flac - audio/x-flac to application/x-flac
>
> You should probably file a gnome-vfs bug against this one too; shouldn't
> flac be audio/x-flac in gnome-vfs as well?

No, it's application/x-flac

> > Note that the official mimetype for mp3 files is actually audio/mpeg
> > but I think it's better to be consistant with the rest of the desktop
> > than with some theoretical height (for the time being...I will file a
> > bug against Gnome-vfs and we can change to audio/mpeg when they do)

If this is the case, then now is the right time to change this in
gnome-vfs ;) BTW, we shouldn't necessarily correlate gstreamer with
gnome-vfs.  I mean, we have no reason to either follow gnome-vfs (since
our type detection is supposedly better) or tie ourself to gnome-vfs
(since we are not only gnome).

I added application/x-flac to gnome-vfs myself, btw, so it's probably best
to bring it up on gnome-desktop-devel with pointers to the spec that says
it's audio/mpeg

Thomas

When you can't trust yourself
trust someone else
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->