[gst-devel] gnu smalltalk / gstreamer namespace collisions

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Sat Feb 9 16:34:02 CET 2002

Hi Paolo,

I work with the GStreamer project (http://gstreamer.net/). In trying to
get our packages into Debian, we learned that GNU Smalltalk also has a
libgst, although it appears to be ony a static library. You also appear
to have a ${prefix}/include/gst.h, where we have
${prefix}/include/gst/gst.h. So, we will rename our shared library to
libgstreamer, and will continue storing our loadable modules in
${prefix}/lib/gst/, and will also continue to use the gst/ prefix on our
header files. We took a look at the exported symbols from your libgst.a
and it doesn't look like there's a conflict.

So, in summary, we are changing our library name in order to prevent a
conflict, and wanted to let you know about our use of the gst/
directories in include/ and lib/, so that we could prevent future
namespace collisions. If you have any concerns about this arrangement,
feel free to contact me or the list
(gstreamer-devel at lists.sourceforge.net).

Best regards,

Andy Wingo