[gst-devel] WARNING: gnome 2.0 snapshots dangerous!

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Wed Feb 13 01:50:03 CET 2002

As I found out a few days ago, and thomasvs just found out himself, the
GNOME 2.0 snapshot channel on red-carpet is dangerous if you're not very
careful.  Bringing in too many packages from the channel will cause your
entire environment to change completely, but reversibly.

The method I used to recover from this (on two machines at once) was
roughly:

1) remove *every* package in the snapshots channel via red-carpet
   ***** NOTE the list of packages removed in sympathy carefully!! *****
3) find and install any packages removed in step 1 that shouldn'tve been
4) repeat update sequence until all is back to normal with stock Ximian

5) carefully resubscribe to the snapshots channel and install only what
you need:

  a) atk, pango, glib2, gtk2
  b) libxml2
  c) possibly libgnomeui and friends
  d) pkgconfig
  e) all relevant -devel packages

I think the primary culprit are the apps packages in the channel, like
gdm and gnome-core.  Avoid any apps and you should be fine.

And if you're lucky, your original GNOME 1.4 environment should
magically reappear.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_