[gst-devel] naming stuff

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Jan 4 00:08:04 CET 2002

On Fri, 04 Jan 2002, Dan Dennedy wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 01:41, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> > If someone were to come up with a really good name all of the sudden, now
> > would be the time to change it.  After all, I never was really all that
> > happy with the name, as I've always been bad at naming things...  There
> > are some basic constraints though: I'd prefer if it didn't lean towards
> > GNOME as much as GStreamer does, and it should have a 2-4 letter short
> > name, as 'gst'.

for *not* changing the name

* we have the domain name
* we have the sourceforge name
* some of the files still say "GNOME-Streamer", sheesh
* we are related to G-projects, the glib object system
* our g can stand for g <g>

if anything, change to 'gst'. but i suggest instead just changing the
package names. it's already libgst. except call 'gstreamer' gst-core
imho.

regards,

wingo.