[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs www: www/apt/

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Tue Jul 2 08:39:00 CEST 2002

On Tue, 02 Jul 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> > * Thomas Vander Stichele <thomasvs at users.sourceforge.net> [20020701 11:38]:
> > > Module:         www
> > >  <LI>add these lines to the file /etc/apt/sources.list:
> > >  <PRE>
> > > -rpm     http://gstreamer.net/apt/ redhat-73-i386/gstreamer deps
> > > -rpm-src http://gstreamer.net/apt/ redhat-73-i386/gstreamer deps
> > > +rpm     http://gstreamer.net/apt/ redhat-73-i386 deps
> > > +rpm-src http://gstreamer.net/apt/ redhat-73-i386 deps
> > >  </PRE>
> >
> > I see potential confusion with this structure since, historically, apt
> > has been a debian tool.  Do you think it might be better to mirror the
> > current setup and have gstreamer.net/releases/redhat/ (or rpm) similar
> > to releases/debian/?  It nicely fits in releases/ along with the other
> > binary files such as basic tarballs.
>
> well, I don't know.  It's been up there for over a month

not relevant, we didn't know where it was until your recent commit.
"apt" has been being done for over a year in releases/debian.

> , and as you see I
> have left ample space to add debian directories, so I don't really see
> what the problem is.  I don't see any confusion either, since we haven't
> ever served .debs from there (but we can still do that if you want to).

The confusion that David was referring to was the "Oh, Apt? You mean
that debian thing? OK, I'll just go to http://gstreamer.net/apt/ ..."

So, it would make sense for either debian to be under apt/, or stay in
releases/debian and redhat stuff goes to releases/redhat. The latter
option makes more sense to me, because

1) let's not change debian's repository, because a number of people have
been using it for some time for our 'official' releases

2) as the web guy, i dislike more toplevel directories

3) it makes it clear which packages should be gotten from where.

Regards,

wingo.