[gst-devel] one little annoying problem.

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Thu Jul 4 08:06:06 CEST 2002

So there's one big problem I still have for the upcoming release.

When doing apt-get install gstreamer-universe, there are lots of gobject
assert errors.  The reason for this is simple - when the gstreamer package
gets upgraded, the old plug-ins are still on the system, and so every
gst-register from other rpm upgrades fails until all the old plug-ins have
been removed.

Personally, I think this is nasty.  IIUC, .so versioning is supposed to
solve this ? I know we can't guarantee ABI stability yet, but I thought
that versioning is the mechanism you use to help against that.

I'd appreciate some explanation so we can make a quick decision, because
ideally I'd like to have this fixed for the release.

Thanks,
Thomas

I pulled myself together
It tore us apart