[gst-devel] build problem

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Tue Jul 9 09:57:05 CEST 2002

So,

Michael Meeks uncovered a pretty weird issue we have in our build setup,
which we all managed to miss by pure luck[1].

I'll state the symptom:

a) he has gstreamer and plug-ins installed from rpm, 0.4.0.
b) he was trying to compile gst-player
   he configured with --prefix=/opt/streamer
c) the build goes fine
d) when he runs src/gst-player, execution fails because of missing
libgstcontrol.so

libgstcontrol.so does live in /usr/lib/gst

Now, the weird thing is that if he configures with --prefix=/usr, then it
does work.  Any other prefix doesn't.
It also doesn't work if he installs the player.

So it looks a little as if somehow the prefix from configure plays a part
in the runtime linking.  I'm not really sure how this happens.

Which brings me to another point :

a) we treat control like it's a plug-in.  We need to do this, since all
plug-ins that use dynparams open this supporting library.
b) apps wanting to use it, need to link to it currently since otherwise
   linking complains about missing symbols
c) SO, what should be the right way of linking an app to this library ?
   And why does it only check at runtime if the library is present[2] ?

I'd appreciate some comments on how this sort of thing is ideally supposed
to be done and what could be causing Michael's issue, which I managed to
reproduce on my machine.

Thanks,
Thomas

 [1]: actually, it's probably because none of us ever try to
build the
player with a different prefix fromwhere we installed core and plug-ins.

[2]: Wim tells me - if I understand correctly - that all linking is lazy
by default, and resolved at runtime, and the reason we see this error is
because control is not in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or in ld.so.cache.

Follow me down to the bushes dear
No one will know we'll disappear
I'll hold your hand we'll never tell
Our private little trip to hell tonight