[gst-devel] A few beginner questions

iain iain at prettypeople.org
Tue Jul 30 06:36:06 CEST 2002

I've just started adding GStreamer support for my app, and after some
wrong turns and misunderstandings (thanks wingo...) I think I know what
I'm supposed to do.

Basically, I need to get the raw sample data and some info (sample rate,
number of channels etc) out of a media stream.
My pipeline looks something like
filesrc ! [decoder to audio/raw]
and I've worked out that I need to create my own element to go on the
end of it.  Is this the right way to do what I want? I'm currently
thinking that the audio/raw element will do a push on the sink pad of my
element and then my element will do what it needs to do to store the
data (but this is my very simple understanding on gstreamer, so it could
be completely wrong). How do I get the sample rate, number of channels
etc? Are these now properties on the audio/raw element?

Finally, if I'm writing my own element, does it have to be a plugin, or
can I just code it statically into my app and create it from there?

Thanks,
iain (feel free to flame, I have very little clue what I'm talking about
:)
--
"Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones" is rated PG (Parental
guidance suggested). It has many violent scenes, none of them terribly