[gst-devel] [RFC] invalid buffers

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Fri Jun 14 20:13:02 CEST 2002

> Sometimes a plugin can send an invalid buffer, e.g. after seeking in an
> mpeg video stream at a non-keyframe position, there will be garbage in
> the buffer until a keyframe (I-frame in mpeg language) is met.
>
> What do you think ?

My first reaction says that there is no reason that the MPEG decoder has
to send invalid data, even without the I frame.  For instance if you
working with an I-slice stream you may want to show just the intra-coded
sections of the P-frames, and just make the rest black.  So I would say
that it should be the decoder's responsibility to provide valid frames,
whether they be NULL (black) or something like that.

		--Ted