[gst-devel] [RFC] invalid buffers

David I. Lehn dlehn at vt.edu
Sat Jun 15 08:45:03 CEST 2002

* Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr> [20020614 09:07]:
> Sometimes a plugin can send an invalid buffer, e.g. after seeking in an
> mpeg video stream at a non-keyframe position, there will be garbage in
> the buffer until a keyframe (I-frame in mpeg language) is met.

It would be nice if any solution could be optional.  Some people think
it looks cool when a seek blends two unassociated I frames. ;)  And
surely its faster to just not worry about it.  Perhaps for UI issues
turn it off.  Like on sliders and such.  But when accuracy is needed,
like in a NLE, clearly want it to look better.

> - Mark all invalid buffers as such, with something like this:
> +  GST_BUFFER_INVALID,

"INVALID" isn't really the proper terminology is it?  This seems more
like an "unsynced" or "out of sequence" buffer.

-dave
--
David I. Lehn <dlehn at vt.edu>  | http://crib.lehn.org:8080/~dlehn/
Computer Engineering Graduate @ Virginia Tech in sunny Blacksburg, VA