[gst-devel] Building plugins

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Fri Mar 22 01:49:10 CET 2002

Hi Sojan,

we should work on a template auto*'d dir for creating external plugins to
help out developers.

In the meantime, you're probably best off plonking your plugin in a dir in
your copy of gst-plugins.

Here's (off the top of my head) the steps involved :
a) decide if it's a stand-alone plugin or depending on an external lib
b) if the first, make a dir in gst-plugins/gst for it, otherwise in
   gst-plugins/ext
c) if it's in gst, you have it easy
   * copy a Makefile.am from another dir in gst
   * change source and header files to match yours
   * edit the top-level configure.ac and add your dir name to
GST_PLUGINS_ALL
   * add a line in the last AC_CONFIG_FILES bit for your Makefile

   basically you can just copy stuff as done by other plugins
d) if it's in ext, it's a bit harder.  I have to check up, but if you want
   you can try and mimic what other libs do, depending on the specifics of
   the lib.

Thomas

Is there a voice unkind
in the back of your mind
saying "maybe you didn't know him at all"
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->