[gst-devel] news from the front

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Fri May 3 07:18:04 CEST 2002

news from the trenches :

* gst-player 0.2.3 has been released without much fanfare.
  it is meant to work with a set of patches to 0.3.4, provided by ronald,
  to work with the upcoming garnome release - since the current player in
  garnome doesn't even compile against gstreamer core due to API changes.
  The player works, even plays avi and mpeg if you have the prerequisites,
  but MPEG is decidedly slow (continuously) on at least three machines
  while only taking about 20% of the CPU.  At least not full throttle.
  One machine I got avi to work on, it's smooth, but stutters regularly
  (about once each second).  Also doesn't go much higher than 40%.
  Maybe buffering would help here ?

* I made an mpeg2dec 0.2.1 rpm on which I 'd like feedback.  The spec is
  in the new packages cvs module and the rpms can be had as usual
  from http://gstreamer.net/releases/cvs/redhat

* PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE all try to convince Benjamin to put in events.
  If he doesn't start doing it soon I'm threatening you all to code events
  myself based on the docs he provided.  We NEED events for lots of stuff.

Thomas

I will play you like a shark
And I'll clutch at your heart
I'll come flying like a spark