[gst-devel] dist tarballs

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Thu May 9 07:00:02 CEST 2002

Hey everone,

David added m4 files and similar to the DIST.
I don't really understand what advantage that gives, so I wanted to bring
it up so you can share your knowledge on the subject.

Personally, I haven't run into many tarballs that allow themselves to be
re-autogen'd.  The ones I remember were all badly done dists or CVS
snapshots, in some cases even disting CVS dirs.

But maybe there are good reasons to do it that I don't know of ?

IMO, if you want to autogen.sh and hack on gstreamer, just get cvs.
If you just want to compile and install it, get the tarball.  Dist
tarballs should come preconfigured IMO without allowing you to mess with
configure at all.

So let me know, that way I know which way I have to fix the currently
failing builds.

Thomas

I hit him around a lot.
For Spike, that's like third base ...