[gst-devel] autoplug ranking for a better spider

Baker, Steve SBaker at CHELLO.com
Thu May 30 04:43:02 CEST 2002

> I think it is a good idea.  It is a hack, and I'm sure people
> will start
> discussing previous ideas again which all sounded great, but
> no one steps
> forward and does it.
>
> So IMO this is a really good start anyway - he who writes the
> code has the
> right to have a go at it I say !
>
> As a technical comment, I think it's a good start, but it
> would be even
> better IMO if plugins were to suggest this number themselves,
> but the rank
> would then be stored in the registry (preferably in a second
> subsection,
> so that it wouldn't get overwritten between re-registers), so
> that they
> could also be made user-adaptable.  Not that we will need it from the
> start, but when we learn more and more how it works it might
> be a good
> idea to have the possibility to do it and add api bits to
> even change this
> on the fly.  For example, we could have a simple app that
> tries to choose
> the best video and audio output plugin on your system and
> then puts these
> ranks into the registry.

Well, I've just realised that I'll need to load/save the rank to the
registry anyway.

I might just call it "rank" so that it is not autoplug specific - it could
be used for other ranking purposes on src and sink elements.