[gst-devel] gstplay.c goes it alone

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Fri May 31 05:35:08 CEST 2002

I'd like to move gst-player/libs/gst/player/gstplay.c into its own lib
which will live in gst-plugins/gst-libs/gst/play.

This will eventually evolve into a ui agnostic object which provides a
simple interface for playing any media.  gst-player will link to this
library, as can any other media player.

My motivations for doing this are the following:
- it will give us an isolated environment to debug our dynamic pipeline
issues (this is the main reason)
- there is nothing gtk specific in gstplay.c atm (apart from the use of
videosink) and other apps could benefit from the code reuse
- maybe more core hackers will improve it if it is in gst-plugins ;)

Any interface changes will be propagated to gst-player so it won't
bitrot. I'd also like to write a really simple command line client for
testing.

Speak now if you have comments/objections

cheers