[gst-devel] Re: Thoughts from FreeBSD on the upcoming GNOME 2.2

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 13 09:21:03 CET 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 04:50, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > So far, I have to say GNOME has been pretty good for FreeBSD.  We have
> > been tracking fairly closely to the official releases.  I'm putting the
> > final touches on 2.1.2 as we speak.  However, with the recent addition
> > of GStreamer to GNOME 2, I have some doubts.  GStreamer still does not
> > work on FreeBSD.  Our pthreads implementation does not allow
> > applications to longjump between thread contexts.  Since it looks like
> > GStreamer might play an important role in GNOME 2, I thought I'd add
> > some input.  If this is not the correct list, please let me know.
>
> This looks like the correct list yeah ;)
>
> We (= gstreamer) know there are issues with pthread code we have.  We have
> been contacted by freebsd people in the past, but most of them were only
> interested in trying out working code, not helping us fix the few issues
> there are with the code we have.  We indeed don't have access to FreeBSD
> machines ourselves to test.
>
> I'm not quite sure what the pthread and libc situation is on freebsd, but
> I've been told that freebsd doesn't use glibc by default, but can use it
> for applications, and in that respect I would expect GStreamer pthread
> code to work when using glibc.  I'm not sure though and haven't found
> anyone I know with freebsd and glibc knowledge to back that up.

I actually thought of that myself last night.  I'm going to try and get
GStreamer working with our linuxthreads port.  I'll keep you posted on
my results.

> Our main problem is - we don't have any testers on platforms other than
> ppc and x86.  We've been actively looking for them on other platforms, but
> people seem somehow not inclined to test on other platforms.  We're not
> quite sure how to solve that issue ;) Any ideas here are welcome.

I have access to UltraSparc Solaris systems, but none running a recent
enough GNOME version for testing.  I know this may be of little help,
but I can also offer you and any other GStreamer developers access to
working FreeBSD machines with GNOME 2 installed for testing.  Like I
said in a previous email, our GStreamer maintainer says you guys have
been quite helpful, and I realize this is just volunteer work.

I appreciate your comments.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	marcus at FreeBSD.org