[gst-devel] Re: Thoughts from FreeBSD on the upcoming GNOME 2.2

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 13 15:12:07 CET 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 16:55, David Schleef wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:20:04PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > I actually thought of that myself last night.  I'm going to try and get
> > GStreamer working with our linuxthreads port.  I'll keep you posted on
> > my results.
>
> It might be easier and also more helpful to get the new GThread code
> working.  I'm hoping that it will help to find some of its bugs, too.

> Gstreamer doesn't change contexts between threads.  It splits up
> the stack of a single thread into multiple cothreads, and longjumps
> (or equivalent) between contexts in a single thread.  I don't think
> this should be a problem with most threading implementations.

This got me thinking about our pthreads implementation, and I think I
got gstreamer working on FreeBSD with cothreads.  I'm running the
fakesrc ! fakesink test now, and it's doing its thing.  I want to play
with a few more things, then I may have some patches.  Thanks for the
tip.

Joe