[gst-devel] Re: Thoughts from FreeBSD on the upcoming GNOME 2.2

Sander Vesik Sander.Vesik at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 14 03:11:03 CET 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> In any case, a lot of work has been going on to solve this problem in a
> more generic way, which includes :
> a) moving to GThreads and working around it's limitations (we have valid
> reasons for doing the pthread hacks we do, and anyone who thinks he can
> work around it and help us remove limitations so that we don't need to do
> those evil code things is more than welcome to help us out !)

GThread limitations? Can you be more specific as to what you mean? I hope
you aren't relying on a GThread being the same a pthread, as that is in
general not true.

> We're currently smack middle in that move to GThreads and fixing issues
> popping up because of it, which is why we need a few testers on various
> platforms to verify we're doing this the right way
>
> b) writing a scheduler (optimal scheduler) that doesn't even need
> cothreads, and thus can do without any sort of GThread or pthread code.
>
> Both are good ways to work around the problem on other platforms, we
> should be able to stabilize a) soon enough, b) will take some more work
> but will be better in many respects.
>
> Our main problem is - we don't have any testers on platforms other than
> ppc and x86.  We've been actively looking for them on other platforms, but
> people seem somehow not inclined to test on other platforms.  We're not
> quite sure how to solve that issue ;) Any ideas here are welcome.

Well, the present architecture is not exactly one that people are bound to
run to to embrace. So the easiest way to get people to like to test it is
to timetravel back and make changes... 8-)