[gst-devel] C++ bindings: forked gtkmmproc

Murray Cumming murrayc at t-online.de
Sat Oct 26 05:31:01 CEST 2002

It has come to my attention that the gstreamer C++ bindings contain a
forked copy of gtkmm's "gtkmmproc" code generator. I really think this
is a bad idea, and I would like to know why we can't just make any
improvements/extensions to the original instead.

We all know that forking of active projects leads to unnecessary
difficulties - for instance, you will already have lost the benefit of
recent gtkmmproc bug fixes.

By the way, I suspect that this has something to do with the attempt to
reimplement gtkmm's C++/C lifetime code in Gst::Object. I accept the
possibility that this might be necessary but nobody has yet proved that
the default behaviour is faulty. And there has been enough
misunderstanding of the lifetime code to suggest that actual tests
should be done to prove people's opinions.

--
Murray Cumming
murray at usa.net
www.murrayc.com