[gst-devel] audiocast/icecast patch

Colin Walters walters at debian.org
Sat Sep 7 12:39:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 07:24, Wim Taymans wrote:

> I have a problem with this patch, it's gnome-vfs that should provide an
> API to collect and query this kind of metadata instead of code alongside
> gnomevfs IMO.
>
> Can't this code be integrated into the icecast/audiocast gnome-vfs
> module instead, with some nice API to query the metadata?

Look, the patch isn't going to be completely beautiful no matter where
it goes.  There just isn't one correct layer to do it in.

If we did it at the gnome-vfs layer, we'd still have to get that
metadata inside the gstgnomevfssrc element and push it on up.  And add
that to the fact that it's just strange to be sticking a lot of
audio-related code inside gnome-vfs, and you get something that's
equally as ugly (if not more) as doing it inside gstgnomevfssrc.

If you really feel differently, and can come up with a cogent argument
for it (besides just saying "Couldn't this code be integrated...with
some nice API"), feel free to rewrite the patch for gnome-vfs.