[gst-devel] changes to adder

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Mon Sep 9 07:58:04 CEST 2002

Hi,

I've been asked to explain my commits to adder, so here's the simple
explanation.

I think that adder should always send data, regardless of the fact if it
has any input to it.  If it doesn't, it should send out zeroes, of course.
In my head, gst-launch adder ! osssrc should work, useless though it is in
practical life.  Also, the same should work in gst-editor.

The reason I think this should work is that there are apps that will use
adder, and connect and disconnect inputs to it as necessary.  Adder
shouldn't stop working when all inputs are gone, and shouldn't wait to
start working when none of it's inputs are connected.

I'm currently trying to get such a mixer app written, which is probably
the direct reason for me trying to fix up adder in some places.

A prerequisite for that launch line to work is a way to set audio format
properties on the cmd line - I guess this is what Andy objects to, though
I'm not sure.

Thomas

Ik zei dat ik voor haar wou sterven
en dat vond zij niet fijn