[gst-devel] gst-player

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Sep 17 13:17:04 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 05:45:48PM +0200, Steve Baker wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 15:04, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > So,
> >
> > gst-player is pretty close to being very good.

Indeed.

My biggest wishlist feature right now would be an --xid option
that allows the top-level GtkWindow to be a GtkPlug, and plugs
it into the window with the specified X id.  That, the ability
to read standard input, plus a few lines of hack code to make
GtkPlug work inside a Mozilla window, and we'd have a completely
working media plugin for Nauzileon.

I never got far enough to figure out how to get a GnomeApp to
pretend to be a GtkPlug.

> > b) a way to scale video output when resizing (resizing should be
> >    aspect-ratio locked, IMO) and doing full-screen.
> >    I discussed this briefly with ronald.  videoscale seems to be bitrotten
> >    and according to him it's not the solution, since we need RGB scaling.

I think I was the last person to hack on videoscale.  It should
correctly handle a number of formats, but certainly not all.  It
does handle RGB, although I think just RGB-565 and RGB-8888.
Additional formats are easy to add.  I checked in a patch a few
days ago that makes videoscale very lightweight in the no-scaling
case, roughly similar to colorspace.  There is probably room for
improvement, though.  There are other performance issues with
videoscale, which I can fix if they are important.

> >    In that case, I suppose a videoscale plug-in is needed (apparently one
> >    that needs to be coded still), which would pick up this event and
> >    respond appropiately, sending back an acknowledge event.  This allows
> >    the output plug-in to actually resize the window if this is necessary.

Can't this be handled with caps?  I.e., the video output element tries
to resize the sink caps, if it fails, revert to the original size and
center the output.  This would be preferable if the video source is able
to resize the video arbitrarily, e.g., swfdec or v4lsrc.

> > d) Christian suggested that it'd be nice to show our logo in the output
> >    window when the video is done playing.
>
> We need a png of the GStreamer slugs antialiased on a black background.

<mode="plug own software">
One could create a single-frame flash animation of the slugs and use
that for the background.  Neatly anti-aliased for any resolution.  Or
use libart directly.
</mode>

dave...