[gst-devel] gst-player

Joshua N Pritikin vishnu at pobox.com
Mon Sep 23 02:51:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 03:04:22PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> f) one nagging question:
>    - seeking in an avi is pretty slow.  It's more on a "xine" level than
>      an "mplayer" level.  What can be done about that ? Is this inherent
>      in the design or are there still improvements that can be made ?
>      How should we do them ? I'm thinking here of
>        - gsttimecache
>        - seeking to key frames
>        - partial or inaccurate seek

i've been playing with cinelerra.  To get seek working with cineleera,
you have to run mpeg3toc on the mpeg file.  mpeg3toc creates an index
of all the frames.  It takes 2-3 minutes, but then seeking works
perfectly.

Granted, it's not a perfect solution, but it's ten times better than
what we have now.

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org