[gst-devel] gst-player error handling,

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Tue Sep 24 02:29:04 CEST 2002

Hi,

I've been looking over the gst-player sources.  Right now, we still do
asserts and stuff to make sure plug-ins can be made, which is bad for
users.  Even though the assert can be informative enough, assert should be
used for programming errors only anyway and users should get a dialog box
popping up and telling them what's wrong and how to fix it.

So I wanted to add GError stuff to libgstplay which then should be handled
by libgstplayer (which does the GUI bits), but some things are preventing
me from doing this right, and I'm not quite sure how to solve this.

First of all, any app that plays using libgstplayer starts by getting a
GstMediaPlay object through gst_media_play_new.

This calls a number of methods on the underlying objects, which finally
set up the right pipeline.  It is in this pipeline that errors should
probably be generated  and passed down (for instance, can't find the
volume plug-in).

The problem is, I don't know if it's a sane idea to change
gst_media_play_new
GstMediaPlay* gst_media_play_new (GError **error) ;)

I'd like some feedback from others to know what to try here, especially on
what other Gnome projects do in this case.

Thanks,
Thomas

Oh, baby, give me one more chance
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->