[gst-devel] embedding sdlvideosink

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Wed Sep 25 14:27:03 CEST 2002

I am working out a plan of attack to embed sdlvideosink in the player
and I want to share my intended approach before I start so that people
(namely Ronald and Wim) can comment.

I haven't found a way to "get" the X window of an existing sdl display
so I think the only way of knowing the xid of a sdl display is to create
your own x window and tell sdl to use it with the setenv("SDL_WINDOWID",
SDL_hack, 1); hacklet.

I'm planning to just copy gstxwindow from xvideosink and use that to
create the window that sdl gets embedded in. This implies that
sdlvideosink will always be used with X11 and I'm not sure if that
assumption is true. I suspect that for GStreamer at the moment it is.

So whenever gst_sdlvideosink_create is called, a new X window is created
and SDL is told to use it.

I will probably try this now to see if it is viable.

cheers