[gst-devel] the editor ROCKS

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Mon Sep 30 07:08:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I just want to take a moment to publically thank Andy ;)

You are too kind ;)

> It allowed me to play with location of queues and threads, and see the
> differences in behaviour of GStreamer (when what element pauses, and so
> on).
>
> Here's a screenshot I made during my work :
> http://thomas.apestaart.org/download/screenshots/gst-editor-gstreamix.png

That's really nice, I'll see about including it on the gst-editor page.
I'm making up some release notes now -- maybe we can get a public
release out in a couple of days.

> It shows two decoding threads that read files from disk, connected to an
> adder, which does threaded output (in the actual app, ossink is replaced
> again by tee, which sends data to various output methods).
>
> After some experimentation, this seemed to be the ideal pipeline setup,
> which I was able to verify by setting the whole pipeline to play (using
> the buttons at the bottom), then only pausing the adder (as shown in the
> screenshot - see the adder being in pause and everything else in play).
> Pressing pause here kept osssink playing for a little bit more until the
> queue is empty.  In the app, this gives me the time to disconnect an input
> pipe, or connect a new one, with the adder being paused, so as to have
> seamless playback.

This description is going on the web page, too ;)

> So, Andy, thanks you ! ;)
> I'm seriously considering doing a GStreamer tutorial based on the editor
> to explain all of the concepts behind GStreamer, because it works so well
> visually.  Check it out !

That would be rad -- for introducing people to gstreamer, the editor
needs a few things:

1) The help file needs to be written (it's already there, installed,
etc. it's just empty docboox xml.). There will be a brief overview,
followed by a number of How-to scenarios, followed by a reference. Any
help in this regard would be grand.

2) Elements of the canvas support right-click context help. If anyone
wants to work on this, that would be great.

3) Of course, we need to support SOMETIMES pad connections 'natively'
(not through the gstparse code).

I'm going to release without these, though. We seem to be reasonably
stable.

I'm glad you were able to make use of the editor. It's got some rough
edges as you know, but things are getting better ;)

wingo.