[gst-devel] stable branch

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Apr 2 18:40:52 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:14:50PM -0800, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > 2) What does API compatibility mean wrt to plugins?
> We'll have to define that in more detail, but in at this point if it works
> for all known programs using it at this point, it's 'compatible' <g>

This is a bit of a problem.  Suppose someone writes an app while
using 0.6.1, and uses property "foo" in element "bar", but "foo"
wasn't added until 0.6.1.  Users of RH9 only have 0.6.0, so
this property won't exist.  Basically, we have to guard against
all _future_ programs, too.

However, if we provide documentation that property "foo" may only
be used only if the application tests for it, I think we're ok.
Then the bug is in the application.

I stongly think that it is wise to be conservative at this point.
That way, we can get bitten by a minor bug, instead of eaten
alive by many such bugs, should such changes become common.

dave...