[gst-devel] queue full patch in 0.6.1?

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Thu Apr 17 08:00:19 CEST 2003

> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>
> > any patch at this point for 0.6.1 is highly controversial.
> >
> Actually we merged a 5 pages patch just yesterday just to allow fast
> fast forwarding in the player.

Well, what can I say ? That sounds pretty dumb from a release standpoint,
and it basically forces us to delay the release for a week so this gets
proper testing.

I know every single one of us wants to do a quick 0.6.1 release, but to do
proper releases you have to put your foot down at some point to get it
out, and make sure that you have an actual code freeze at some point so
everyone can test.  We're still learning that but the goal is to get
better at this, not worse, with each release.

The right way to solve this issue is have shorter release cycles, but not
TOO short.  And, of course, people should start working on stuff for the
next release right after the previous one, and not "two days after the
first announced deadline".

We have a lot to lose by putting out a release with a stupid d'oh bug just
because some last-minute patch screwed everyhting up - we have more to
lose than we used to, now that we have some sort of non-techie userbase.

 Thomas

 So a 5 line patch to allow buffering should
> not be that much of a problem. Especially because I just had time to find
> lots of brokennness in it in the last 6 hours debugging this f**king
> GstThread element but didn't.
>
> Benjamin

What am I still to you ?
Some thief who stole from you ?
Or some fool drama queen whose chances were few
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->