[gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Sat Apr 19 06:42:02 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 11:47, Gustavo J A M Carneiro wrote:
>    IMHO, no video player should be included which doesn't have the
> capability to display subtitles.  Subtitles is just one of those
> fundamental requirements, especially for non-english speaking people,
> and perhaps it is important for accessibility reasons as well.

People using subtitles for their warez films is hardly the target of
Totem. Support of subtitles used in .ogm files is planned.

>   AFAIK, neither totem nor gst-player support that.  I see a menu option
> in totem, but it is not sensitive, so I imagine it only works for DVDs,
> not media files with a separate .sub file.

It already works on the command-line with the xine backend. See README.
(totem mymovie#mysubtitle)

>   I only wish someone would make a HIG/GNOME-friendly mplayer frontend,
> until GStreamer players stabilize.

mplayer is crap to embed:
1) it's not a library, so you have to embed it "by hand"
2) because of 1) the error handling will be rubbish
3) because of 1) again, it doesn't have a configuration library, so you
have to modify most of the settings by hand.

You're more than welcome to add an mplayer backend to the
BaconVideoWidget, but I would only see that as lost time.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>