[gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Apr 22 08:14:01 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 16:07, Bill Haneman wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 11:47, Gustavo J A M Carneiro wrote:
> >    IMHO, no video player should be included which doesn't have the
> > capability to display subtitles.  Subtitles is just one of those
> > fundamental requirements, especially for non-english speaking people,
> > and perhaps it is important for accessibility reasons as well.
>
> It's very important - in fact, essential - for accessibility.
>
> Not all media formats support captioning/descriptive audio, etc., but
> certainly the "GNOME media player" should be able to handle those that
> do.
>
> The ideal "big picture" solution probably involves SMIL, but that's a
> bigger project.  In the meantime we certainly should try to do our best
> with DVD captions/subtitles and with *.sub files where such content is
> available.
>
> What is the current gst-player/gst and totem roadmap for subtitling and
> captions?

I don't even understand what is needed. Right now, with the xine
backend, subtitles are supported as video overlays. Work is ongoing in
GStreamer to have that as well.

What is needed to make the player a10y happy on this side?

(SMIL isn't interesting, nobody uses it...)

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault