[gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro gjc at inescporto.pt
Tue Apr 22 08:27:05 CEST 2003

A Ter, 2003-04-22 às 16:07, Bill Haneman escreveu:
> On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 11:47, Gustavo J A M Carneiro wrote:
> >    IMHO, no video player should be included which doesn't have the
> > capability to display subtitles.  Subtitles is just one of those
> > fundamental requirements, especially for non-english speaking people,
> > and perhaps it is important for accessibility reasons as well.
>
> It's very important - in fact, essential - for accessibility.
>
> Not all media formats support captioning/descriptive audio, etc., but
> certainly the "GNOME media player" should be able to handle those that
> do.
>
> The ideal "big picture" solution probably involves SMIL, but that's a
> bigger project.  In the meantime we certainly should try to do our best
> with DVD captions/subtitles and with *.sub files where such content is
> available.
>
> What is the current gst-player/gst and totem roadmap for subtitling and
> captions?

  I started doing this myself, since noone else seems to be interested
anytime soon.  I already sent a pango-ft2 based text renderer plugin to
gstreamer-devel, and I will try to proceed with subtitle parsing,
displaying, etc.

  It seems that some developers (fortunately few) get angry at users
when they are told a feature is badly missing, so I have no choice but
to do some code, or shut up.  I really hate this attitude, I must say.
I, as developer, would love to hear users complain about missing
features, so I can prioritize my development time according to users'
needs, thus improving the usefulness of the software.

--
Gustavo João Alves Marques Carneiro
<gjc at inescporto.pt> <gustavo at users.sourceforge.net>