[gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Wed Apr 23 03:56:41 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 11:12, Bill Haneman wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 01:32, Benjamin Otte wrote:
>
> > People come and want SMIL for anything. SMIL is neither the right format
> > for playlists nor the right format to store subtitles.
>

> It's all we have for subtitles using media streams that don't support
> subtitling internally.  Certainly it offers solutions to problems such
> as multi-language subtitles that are difficult to solve otherwise.

Well, there's Subrip, SubViewer, MicroDVD, SubStationAlpha, and MPSub.

> I am not saying that the SMIL grammar is great, but I am saying that
> it's what we have to work with at the moment.

Well, there's already support in xine and ongoing work in Gst to support
the formats mentioned above. You still didn't answer my question as to
what was needed from the movie player. Does it only need to show
subtitles as video overlays?

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault