[gst-devel] parsing problems

Joshua N Pritikin vishnu at pobox.com
Wed Apr 23 21:06:07 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:16:36PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > on allocating) and a weird grammar, where spaces sometimes mattered and
> > sometimes not.
>
> memleaks are bad but fixable I think.  The spaces (or rather lack of
> spaces) were important when chaining a pad off of a plugin to a partial
> pipeline, and that's it.  Don't think it was too difficult, gst-launch-ext
> has a whole bunch of pipelines that demonstrate that.
>
> I can understand people not wanting to maintain other people's code, but I
> think effort should be made to ensure :
> - the end user changes are minimal (ie, right now we have a new "syntax"
> for pipelines that probably breaks gst-launch-ext as well as possibly
> some apps that relied on partial pipeline parsing (even our gconf keys are
> parsed, btw)

This is not a case of "not invented here", in my opinion.  i never
understood the old syntax and the new syntax made total sense to me
about reading 4-5 examples.  It's really more flexible.  Make the
effort to learn it.  You'll like it.  The old grammar *was* broken.

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org