[gst-devel] subtitling strategy; help needed.

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro gjc at inescporto.pt
Thu Apr 24 11:04:07 CEST 2003

  Tomorrow is holiday here in Portugal.  I will try to progress in
subtitling with gstreamer this weekend.  Before I proceed however, I
would like some help with the following:

	1- I'll make a fake subtitle producer (before making a real subtitle
file parser).  I don't understand very well how source-only elements do
flow control.  If I have a filsrc connected to a subtitle parser
element, who is responsible for flow control?  Does the filsrc keep
pushing all the data in the file?  Can the subtitle parser accept data
at the rate it wants?  Or is it the subtitle displayer who is
responsible for slowing things down?  Or should the subtitle displayer
read all subtitles and store them in memory in a array, and use them
later at appropriate times?

	2- How does the subtitle displayer (a bin that contains a textoverlay
element) know the current play time?

  If anyone can answer some of these questions, you will save me a lot
of time, and I appreciate it.  I apologize for my inexperience.

--
Gustavo João Alves Marques Carneiro
<gjc at inescporto.pt> <gustavo at users.sourceforge.net>