[gst-devel] (fwd) MIDI and GStreamer

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Sun Aug 10 23:55:03 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 10:04, Andy Wingo wrote:
> > Which gets back to MIDI. Running the risk of ignorant philosophical
> > nothing-buttery, MIDI is nothing but a representation of control
> > signals. So all you need are elements to convert that representation to
> > control signals. In addition, you'd probably want something like
> > SuperCollider's Voicer element -- see
> > http://www.audiosynth.com/schtmldocs/Help/Unit_Generators/Spawners/Voicer.help.html
> > for more information on that.
> >
> > All of this is pretty specific to a synthesizer system, and rightly so
> > multiple projects use it it could go in some kind of library or
> > what-what (that's namibian english ;) but otherwise it can stay in
> > individial projects.
> >
> > For some reason, I just don't care right now about dparams. Should I,
> > Steve?

Of course I'd like you to care about dparams, but I'm all for passing
control data through pads and using midi to store control data. dparams
can use any work that you do at a later date.

You might care more about dparams if:
- you wanted your control parameters to change at a higher rate than
your buffer rate (think zipper noise and
sample-granularity-interpolation)
- you wanted a better way to store and represent control data than midi
files
- I got off my arse and wrote a linear interpolation time-aware dparam
so that i could really demonstrate what they're good for. (not likely in
the short term)

cheers

Steve Baker <steve at stevebaker.org>